The continuing tale of the toy box

The toy box is continuing to take shape thanks to another afternoon nap. The front panel is done with the detail added and I have now painted one of the side panels too with a little robot. I just have to decide what is going to go onto the other panel and then it will be all ready for varnish. Fingers crossed the little one will let me get the last panel done in the next couple of days so I can varnish at the weekend. You’ve got to admit that it looks quite different to when we bought it! Keep an eye out for further updates.

Advertisements

Progress report

As promised I have a picture of progress on the toy box. I have painted the first of the panels since yesterday (although it will need another coat and still has detail to be added). It’s a slow job, speeded up enormously thanks to Hubby being home today to help with the little one, but at least progress is being made now.

20130728-135134.jpg

The toy box so far

Finally

The little one has been good this week and has been taking sustained afternoon naps which allows me to get stuff done. My number one priority was the toy box, it’s been sitting in the garage gathering dust since we bought it, waiting for me to strip the black paint off it to give it a new lease on life. Yesterday I did just that.

The toy box to be

The toy box to be

I bought some paint stripping goo (it really was quite goo like!), slapped it on and scrapped away to get the worst of the paint off. It worked like a charm although after watching it in action I was very careful not to get it on my hands! With the paint off I gave it a bit of a rub down and it was ready for its new colours.

Next I slapped on a coat of water based undercoat and it was ready for the real painting. I’m painting the panels and framing cream and the main body blue. My intention is to mark off a space themed design on each of the panels and then using a stencilling technique leave the detail in the cream and the rest paint blue (I hope that makes sense!). My job for tonight is to try and come up with a design.

I don’t have a photo at the moment (maybe tomorrow) but trust me when I say it is looking better already and I have a great sense of satisfaction for starting to give the tired old blanket box a new lease on life.

Creating trousers from trousers

As I’ve said before I love to take old, tired things and repurpose them. Not only is it environmental, its economical for a family living off just one income.

My husbands work trousers were looking a bit tatty, seams starting to give up the ghost, ripped pockets from carrying too much, that kind of thing. Rather than just chuck them I decided to see if I could turn them into a pair of trousers for the little one.

The finished product

The finished product

Obviously this didn’t require all of the trousers! I decided to use the legs as they appeared to be in pretty good shape. I found a pattern on the Internet and lining the seams up to create the fold I needed chopped a leg out of each leg (that sounds kind of odd doesn’t it!). I then got some contrasting fabric from my stash and created little cuffs for the bottom of each leg. After sewing them all together (the crotch was the trickiest bit) I created a waist band with the contrasting fabric before inserting some elastic into the channel that this created. The whole process only took about two hours at the most (and I’m sure it would have been quicker if I didn’t keep getting distracted by the penguin programme on tv!).

I’m really pleased with how they’ve turned out and am chuffed I found a use for a pair of trousers that otherwise would have just gone in the bin. I have another pair of hubby’s old trousers to use yet as well so I think I will have another go.